While it does take time to prepare your home, in the end it will help to add visual appeal and result in a better showing. It’s a common fact that clean homes net more money.
- Make sure your lawn is manicured.
- Keep the lawn mowed.
- Trim shrubbery, bushes & trees removing all dead limbs & debris.
- Add fertilizer or greening agent to lawn & plants.
- Use an edger along the sidewalks and driveways
- Remove all weeds from flowerbeds, rocks & cracks in concrete. (Weed Be Gone).
- Install and Inspect decorative metal, stone borders between lawn & planting beds.
- Clean up rock and mulch beds making sure the the ground is covered, add more if needed.
Decks, Patios, Driveways, Porches, & Fences
- Power Wash driveways & sidewalks.
- Repair holes & cracks.
- Remove stains.
- Replace or repair broken areas.
- Paint and/or stain fences & decks.
- Arrange outdoor furniture & firewood neatly.
- Put away all lawn equipment, bikes, & toys.
- Inspect all gutters, downspouts, siding, windows sashes, trim & shutters.
- Clean & Paint, or replace.
- Replace any broken windows, doors & screens.
- Inspect the roof for missing or damaged shingles & flashing.
- Clean & touch up paint on the little things: House numbers, mailboxes, doorbells, etc…
Front Porch: This should be very welcoming.
- Paint door & trim.
- Sweep and clean porch area.
- Put out a new doormat.
- Install potted or hanging plants if possible.
- Clean glass on porch lights and remove bug remains.
- Clean the entire home!
- Windows & screens.
- Curtains, drapes & blinds, lamp shades.
- Carpets. If pet stains exist replace carpet & pad.
- Clean floors.
- Clean, paint or replace all vent covers.
- Clean, polish, paint/stain wood trim in home.
- Be sure to remove pet & smoke odor when cleaning.
- Freshly paint home using white, off white or beige paint that are easy to match with.
- Repair damages to walls & ceilings. Includes: holes, cracks, & water stains.
Kitchen & Baths
- Thoroughly clean all counter tops, appliances, mirrors, ovens, sinks, toilets, tub, & shower walls.
- Put away the small appliances to open up counter space.
- Clean ventilating hood & exhaust fans.
- Remove rust stains from sinks and bathtubs.
- Clean & organize drawers, cabinets, & linen closets.
- Clean all tile grout & caulk. (Clorox Bleach Pen & Mr. Clean Magic Eraser).
- Re-caulk areas that can not be cleaned.
Make House Light & Bright!
- Replace bulbs with high wattage bulbs.
- The Brighter the better!
Closets – Make the appear larger!
- Leave only a few items on the floor of closets.
- Organize your shoes on racks.
- Neatly arrange items on shelving.
- Leave extra space on shelves and floor.
Pay Close Attention to the Little Things
- Tighten loose door knobs.
- Fix any leaky faucets.
- Tighten loose towel racks.
- Oil any squeaky doors or drawers.
- Arrange furniture to give an open feel. Remove any unnecessary or over sized furniture.
- Make sure all switches & outlets are clean & working properly.
- Place fresh flower arrangements throughout home.
- Make sure windows open & close without squeaking.
- Hide Prescription medication. Theft of these items is rising.
Heating & Cooling
- Clean fireplaces and remove smoke stains.
- Clean your furnace / air conditioner and replace filter if needed.
- Clean water heater.
Garage, Basement, Attic, & Storage Areas
- Dispose of everything you are not going to move.
- Arrange items neatly & clutter free.
- Remove stains & dirt from floor.
- Organize garden tools & equipment.
- Wipe off dirt and spider webs from water heater, furnace, washer & dryer.